If we are to change the world, we must begin by changing birth.
Birth as a sacred task
Pregnancy and birth are natural, healthy processes that can and should be enjoyable for the entire family. This time should be savored for the miraculous event that it is, the moment when another vibrant soul enters this realm. Birth has a lasting impact on the mother and baby, and I believe that, at a subconscious level, this moment impacts the way that a person will forever relate to love, kinship and the planet. As we look to heal ourselves, our communities and our planet, we should begin by looking at birth.
The important work of the doula
The critical moments before, during and after birth can shape the entire life of the baby, and lay the foundation for essential family ties. It is critical that mothers know that they are strong and well-equipped for the challenges of pregnancy and labor, and that they are generally perfectly capable of carrying out this sacred task without any unwanted medical interventions that could have negative impacts on the baby. Having the continuous one-on-one support of a doula is proven to shorten labor, reduce interventions (such as pain medication, labor augmentation and cesarean) by offering techniques for relaxation, focus and accessing inner strength. The outcome is a healthier baby, stronger familial bonds, and a truly empowered woman.
I provide doula services in the Boulder, Co area.
As your doula I will provide you with:
2 prenatal meetings* in which we will:
- Develop a deep understanding of your intentions for your birth
- Discuss the respective roles of the midwife or doctor, the father (or other birth partner), family or friends, and myself
- Prepare your birth plan/birth preferences
- Go over strategies for staying healthy and low-risk
- Discover how to best achieve your desired birth outcome using birthing techniques
- Answer your questions about what to expect during the final stages of pregnancy, birth and after birth
- Practice prenatal meditations for relaxation and birthing preparation
Basic herbal and aromatherapy support
- Herbal tea to safely encourage the healthiest birth possible
- Aromatherapy to energize and sooth mama during labor, as well as to make surges more effective
- Herbal sitz bath for mama to use after birth
Labor and birth support
- Ongoing, consistent emotional support and therapeutic physical contact
- Ideas for staying relaxed and encouraging progression of labor, resulting in pain management and a shorter labor
- Provision of knowledge and answers to your questions and concerns
- Encouragement for you to advocate for your birth plan (birth preferences)
- Information and ideas for your birth partner to provide you with quality attention that makes a difference
- Support for and facilitation of your loved ones so that you can stay focused on birth
- Music, aromatherapy, heat/cold therapy, etc. as desired
- Lactation support immediately after birth
Clean up and organization after birth (homebirths)
- Help the midwife to disassemble birth set up
- Do laundry and dishes
- Restore order to the house
1 postpartum visit
- Check in on you and baby's emotional and physical health
- Suggestions for recovery and healing
- Breastfeeding support
- Helping you to remember and write down your unique birth story
As my doula client, you will have access to my extensive list of resources for mothers and families in the Denver/Boulder area.
Email and phone support before your birth
*At least one prenatal meeting will be in person. In some cases, 1 meeting may happen on the phone.
Qualifications and Specializations:
- I am a DONA International trained doula and am currently working toward my certification.
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Familiar with Hypnobabies birthing techniques
Support for your journey
I charge a $720 fee for my birth doula services. I am willing to work on a sliding scale for high need families and single mothers. Please contact me to discuss payment options!
Contact me now to set up a time to meet!
Being surrounded by loving support during my pregnancy and birth were very important to me. Sierra has a unique ability to read and relate to people, she meets you on your level. I HIGHLY recommend taking advantage of everything she has to offer. During my pregnancy I enjoyed delicious herbal tea, caring compassionate support, belly henna, and after she encapsulated my placenta. During labor Sierra provided huge support for me and my partner, with a kind touch, a reminder of breath, or a light comment to help me relax between contractions. This was my first birth and I would not change a thing. What a blessing to have such a wonderful spirit as part of my experience.
~ Michelle, Boulder Mama